Wednesday, February 22, 2012

When I turn on my computer I get a black screen and nothing else. I can't get past it.?

I have no idea why, but when I turn on my XP PC (I don't know the specifications without checking on the pc, which I can't do, it's average, I can run Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Dragon Age Origins at low settings and Half Life 2 at full) I can hear all the regular noises and there is a light on inside the computer but it won't get any further. I don't know if this is why, but before this occurred I was trying to install Assassins Creed, which I borrowed from my friend (and I do mean borrowed not downloaded illegally) just as I started installing it I got a message saying about a file missing from the drive, I clicked retry, it seemed to be working, then my pc turned itself off. Nothing went wrong when I turned it on. I tried installing again, I didn't get the error message but it did turn off, that's when i got the black screen. I tried the obvious things, turning it off and on again, unplugging the monitor. But to no avail. I tried unplugging and and replugging the hardrive. That didn't work, I tried changing the monitor but that didn't work either. Can anyone help me. The screen isn't showing anything at all, no flashing line, no bios text, I doubt it's because of the monitor, any solutions? Thanks.When I turn on my computer I get a black screen and nothing else. I can't get past it.?
It sounds like your power supply just died. Note that a bad power supply can spin up hard drives and cooling fans and light up lights on the case, etc.



Installing software will put a lot of stress on a power supply as you are "spinning up" two disk drives at the same time. I think a protection circuit (under-voltage, perhaps) tripped while you were doing the game install. Twice. Now the power supply is not allowing the system to POST.



When you turn the system on, do you get a beep at all FROM THE MOTHERBOARD? If not, then your problem is in the power supply or the motherboard or the CPU. But seeing as the earlier symptoms point to a bad power supply...



I'd be at least 90% certain your power supply just failed you.When I turn on my computer I get a black screen and nothing else. I can't get past it.?
Sounds like it could be the video card. If the computer seems to be working fine (do your speakers play the usual startup sounds?), just the monitor isn't working, then you may have a monitor or video card problem. Also, try checking your video card connections. Usually, the higher end graphics cards (which you must have a decent one to play those games) require power to be plugged directly into them.
  • disneymovieclub
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment